Thursday, September 4, 2008

Going to a Town

This is one of my favorite songs and, regardless of how often I listen to it, is one of the very few songs I can think of that doesn't dull in impact with increased familiarity. I love Rufus Wainwright's music and can't sing its praises enough. For anyone yet to have undertaken his output I'd suggest the following tracks as a guiding light (not in any particular order):

Go or Go Ahead, Poses, I Don't Know What It Is, This Love Affair, The Art Teacher, Dinner at Eight, Viscious World, Agnus Dei, Not Ready to Love, and Release the Stars.

I'm eagerly anticipating his opera which was dropped by the Metropolitan Opera because he refused to convert his libretto from French to English (they commissioned the work after it had already begun to be written in French expecting him to change it) and, from Rufus's perspective, because it wouldn't be debuted until 2014. It will be debuted in Manchester sometime in 2009. Also, he's set several Shakespeare sonnets to music that I hope surface in the very near future.

No comments: