Friday, September 12, 2008

The Day I Was Cool


This picture was taken in the parking lot of the Italian ristorante that my brother Justin's wedding reception took place at. The wedding took place at a small and old church outside of San Diego and, being that my brother is an officer in the Marines, was a military style wedding which a guy like myself (especially at this particular point in my life where I just so happen to look like a draft-dodger) usually looks a touch out of place. Despite the stylistic differences, the entire event was very pleasant. I was the best man so I got to hang out on stage while the ceremony took place and, admittedly, had to choke back a tear or two when the vows were exchanged though I can't, and couldn't at the time, explain why. During the days that preceded the wedding I spent time with family from several different areas, explored San Diego, checked out the zoo, etc... but my existence was plagued knowing that I was, in short time, going to have to deliver a toast that I hadn't prepared to unfamiliar people. The picture above was taken shortly before the toast as I was doing everything within my power to avoid actually entering the reception and accept the task before me. As soon as I got in I started drinking wine to dull my senses and made rounds among the crowd seeking advice from the older men in my family that I suspected to have been, at some point, in the situation I was in. I got the same goddamn answer from all of them which was.....honesty.....short-and-sweet.... I guest that was it for the most part. Anyways, nothing I found much comfort in to say the least.
My time to consume alcohol and seek counsel had passed, my presence was prompted over the PA, and my entire life of preparation for this particular moment was about to receive its report card: F-
I can't tell you exactly what I said but I can tell you I started with a joke that was half audible because, like a coward, I wasn't speaking directly into the microphone and when I finished repeating myself there was a hesitation to laugh that would set the tone for the remainder of my address.
Besides humility I got a memory out of the deal that is one of the perhaps 3-5 memories I have that actually make me smile and slightly laugh every time they cross my mind, regardless of my surroundings, which I guess I can appreciate.
Nevertheless, my brother and his wife Tiffani seemed very happy and could probably have given a shit less being that they just got married and had to sustain just a few more congratulations prior to consummation and were on the eve of a departure to Mexico to reinforce their consummation.
I caught the garter belt too which I believe means I'm next in line to provide a best man with humiliation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember you debating whether to start it out with something along the lines of, "I'm glad Justin now has someone else he can pick on mercilessly.." Meanwhile Tif's maid of honor had a 10 paged typed essay about everything they had ever done together.

Tchadd said...

Yeah, she hurt and helped me. She was so long winded I think some people were getting restless which worked to my advantage but, on the other hand, it showed she had put a lot of time and thought into her address which made my briefness seemingly indicative of my only casual interest in the union. That she had to utilize visual aid sort of lessened the blow (arguably not though).

Anonymous said...

I bombed my brothers wedding toast so freaking hard, it makes me blush bringing it up. uhhhh.